Wednesday, 1 September 2010

New Studio

I’m pleased it’s September. Roll on the winter. Last week I moved into my first shared studio since college, on the fifth floor of New England House - a somewhat unattractive 1960s office building behind Brighton station. The building may be rather dismal but the studio already feels like a haven – full of activity and happy feelings. My co-workers here are illustrators Adam Stower, Guy Parker-Rees and Guy Passey who have been here for ten years. I myself already know the building quite well as I sometimes attend the Brighton Life Drawing Sessions here. My BBC Bitesize films were also taped here, earlier in the year.

It’s difficult to say exactly why the time seemed ripe to move from my home studio, but still... when that moment arrived I immediately knew that there was no alternative. One day I was happily beavering away on my sketches, content in the knowledge that I could pop a casserole in the oven or watch the Coronation Street repeats on ITV2 whilst lazily eating Bachelors Super Noodles for lunch. Then suddenly I realized with total clarity that I needed a more structured working life, and the company of other artists. Definitely the right decision for me.

Coincidentally, only a couple of weeks after this resolution to transfer my office from home to studio, my landlord contacted me to tell me that he was putting my lovely Hove flat on the market. It’s sad but in some ways the timing is spookily perfect, allowing me to concentrate on finding a new place closer to New England House. This and many more changes are afoot for the coming months....

No comments:

Post a Comment